The latest on the USS FITZGERALD/MV ACX Crystal collision is that the Commander of U.S. Seventh Fleet relieved (i.e., fired) the entire Leadership Triad.  Appears punishments will be meted out to the entire watch team as well.  The Navy released a 41-page supplemental report (redacted) detailing what happened after the collision.  This report, hyperlinked in the USNI article, should make any reader feel negative emotions. 

The report on the events leading up to the collision may not be available for some time, as the case is being handled by the Admiralty Court as well.

https://news.usni.org/2017/08/17/vcon-moran-uss-fitzgerald-command-triad-relieved-following-early-investigation-results-punishments-coming

With the exception of some links I shared on FB after this tragic event, I've remained largely silent on the issue.  One reason is that I hate when all the conspiracy theorists and Monday-morning QBs congest the Internet with all their opinions when they really don't know what happened.  The other is that as a Naval Officer, I am responsible for managing how others perceive me.  I like to broach uncomfortable topics from time to time, but there are a few red lines I don't cross in social media (e.g., I don't criticize my commander and Chief or currently-serving elected officials, I will criticize said officials who have since returned to private life, and I generally don't broadcast to the world when I'm not home).

Some examples of articles regarding the FITZGERALD collision that angered me:

http://maritime-executive.com/editorials/a-possible-scenario-for-the-uss-fitzgerald-collision

Not sure why this retired CDR felt entitled to "construct a scenario that could explain the chain of events that led to this catastrophe based solely on media reports and [his] experience on DDG-51 class destroyers."  He is not in the know.  He is not privy to information that the Investigating Officer has access to. 

http://gcaptain.com/uss-fitzgerald-fault/

Captain John Konrad (gCaptain), drew his conclusions even earlier and insinuated that we confuse Merchant Mariners when we operate our ships.

Let the investigation play out

Comments

Popular Posts