Why I model

And by that, I mean I don't model like Fabio.  I build scale models.  I frequently go straight to the magazine section of the nearest Barnes & Noble and I go straight to the section that has typical "guy" things, like guns, cars, planes, model planes, radio-controlled planes, boats, ships, naval ships, model railroading, and, finally (and I'm sure I left out a hobby) scale modeling.

Funny thing is that when I entered the Naval Academy and was assigned a Sponsor Family (which is a local family that provides a "home away from home"), I filled out a profile sheet and listed my hobby as "modeling."  LOL!  I was actually asked, by some ladies, about my modeling career.  I answered with how I once won $25 in 1995 because I built an exquisite 1/48 SPAD 13 that I embellished with thin wire bracing and a cheap windshield.  Honestly, I wish I'd have kept that model vice donating it to my high school (I hope the model is still on display).

So what give folks a thing about building models?

I think part of it is our primal instinct to play with toys.  For reference, I have a motorcycle (2002 Yamaha Warrior) and a 1970 VW Beetle Convertible (Vert).  I tinker with both and derive great amounts of enjoyment from operating both.

But with models, we are dealing with a subject, often long-since scrapped and thus non-existent, that we have only read about in books and, upon learning of the subject's exploits, become suddenly fascinated about.

So we have Mighty Maryland, in 1/700 model form.

What is so important about this ship?

First, she was one of the (relatively) first battleships to be built with speed in mind.  A leap from the "dreadnoughts" of the Great War.

Second, she was modified during the interwar period to be better.

Third, this kit was at the local model shop that is within walking distance of my apartment.

Fourth, this ship was actually sunk on 7 Dec. 1941, the "Day that will live in infamy."

Fifth, I'm currently living in Maryland.

Finally, I attended the Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD and figured the complete model will make my desk look great again!




Comments

Popular Posts