All good things have an expiration date

All things good have an expiration date.

For 15 years, 10 months, and 26 days, I was married to a wonderful woman who I had known for more than six years.

We had many great times and adventures.  And, most importantly, we brought a wonderful girl into this world.

As with all things good, everything has an expiration date.  Ideally, we enter into matrimony with the expectation that the marriage’s expiration will coincide with the death of one or both spouses.  However, the oft-cited reality is that roughly half of marriages expire before either spouse does.

And so it is that as of Friday, with the judge’s stroke of his pen, the awesome marriage that she and I enjoyed, endured, and became stronger through, expired.

The road to this point was long.  We had grown distant but were in denial about it.  We tried to change each other but couldn’t.  We tried, twice, to divorce during the past year but could not go through with it.  Both of us, me in particular, went through intense emotional periods.

When we had our court hearing on Wednesday, I was so stressed that I had diarrhea for two days.  But on Friday, when I checked the docket and saw that all was done and finally over, I’ll admit that a huge weight off my shoulders.  She agreed.   We are at peace.

I don’t want to field a plethora of responses.  Don’t ask questions.  Don’t take sides.  We will forever remain in the good friendship that we had enjoyed for the several years years before tying the knot.

That means no comments, questions, or gossip.  I.e., shut up and worry about your own damn lives.

So onward to the next adventure, whatever that may be for each of us.

Peace.

Comments

Popular Posts