Guilt and Misdirected Anger

     I finally pinned on my silver oak leaves on 1 October.  That I managed to get promoted on my second "above zone" look was amazing and completely unexpected.  It is thrilling to know that I can continue to serve until 2029, potentially retiring with a 70% pension.  This past month has given me reason to reflect and to consider the toxicity of my attitude.  Some thoughts:

1. I misdirected my anger.  I blamed the situation (not getting promoted, not being selected for the privilege of command) on the wrong person.  I counted on my bosses taking care of me in return for my work and when I was ranked lower on a fitness report than I thought I should have been, I channeled my anger toward the wrong individual.  Should I ever meet that person again, I will humbly apologize for the incorrect assignment of blame.

2. I thought the selection system sucked.  I still think there are some shortfalls and I'm not the only one to have written on this.  But I can't be angry at it.  The system finally rewarded me with the opportunity to continue serving.

3. My attitude sucked.  I don't apologize for being angry, because we all have a right to be angry.  I do apologize to my peers for having to listen to my incessant rants for a year and a half.  We don't get to control the situations we find ourselves in, but we do get to control our actions and our words.

Comments

Popular Posts